New York’s winters can bring cold temperatures and inclement weather. You want to be able to seek comfort in your warm, cozy house to get away from the elements. If your furnace is unable to properly heat your home, you need to schedule professional repairs as soon as possible. Call Twin Belle Plumbing, Heating, Air & Water Treatment for furnace repairs in Westchester, NY. In business since 1999, we offer same-day services to quickly restore comfort to your house.
Does your aging furnace need to be replaced? Contact us to learn about our furnace installation services.
Maintenance Tips for Your Furnace
When winter hits, you want to be confident that your furnace can function properly throughout the season to keep your house heated. One way to do this is by keeping your system maintained. Some tips to follow include:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a technician before winter hits. This lets the professional detect and repair any issues before you really need the unit.
- Replace filters regularly, ideally every three months. This can prevent dust, pet dander, and other particles from building up in the unit.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor and have it inspected every year by a professional.
- Check the ducts to ensure they are properly sealed.
- Examine the blower to make sure there are no obstructions and to determine if it needs lubricant applied.
- Inspect the inside of the system for defects, rust, holes, or separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and an emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” on the unit to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter for the rate of fuel usage.
- Keep the area around the unit clean and unobstructed so it can be easily accessed by a professional.
How To Make Your Furnace More Energy-Efficient
Warming your Westchester house to an ideal temperature all winter can take a toll on your utility bills. To help reduce these costs, consider using these tips to make your system more energy-efficient:
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Ensure your air ducts are in good condition.
- Make sure that your property is well insulated.
- Schedule regular maintenance visits with a professional.
- Change the filter regularly, at least every three months.
- Leave the drapes open to let sunlight in to add more heat to your home.
Want to add more warmth to your house? Consider installing a fireplace. Contact us to learn about ourgas log fireplace services.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repairs
To prevent your house from going without heat when your furnace malfunctions, it’s important to catch any issues early so you can quickly schedule repairs with a professional. Some signs to watch for can include:
- Short cycling: If the unit runs for less than three minutes before shutting off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or an issue with the thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If there are uneven flames - or flames that lean toward the back of the furnace - it can signal your burners need to be cleaned, or that the heat exchanger is cracked.
- Unusual sounds: Rumbling, popping, or whistling sounds coming from the unit can indicate several issues that need to be repaired.
- Cracked heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can lead to a dangerous carbon monoxide leak. This can put your family’s health at risk and requires immediate attention by a professional.